This was the first summer to have gone this way: plague, medium incline boulder roll, grandfoolish grand-societal re-opening, redoubled plague, steeper incline boulder roll. Who even has the time or energy to imagine Sisyphus as anything at all?
Hey Siri, calendar check please. Since late May–the 26th. I picked a date just to size things up, snapshot tally, to figure summertime with whatever it’s been now that I’m in a week dialed intentionally to pausing–a rest before the tidals of August wash our way.
Since late May–the 26th.
- 1,415 vt.edu emails received
- 911 vt.edu emails sent
- That’s a 35.6% reduction, or interruption rate. I wish it was more like 50%.
- 3 tenure and/or promotion cases to review. One done; two to go.
- 2 article manuscripts reviewed
- 1 promotion narrative and dossier sent in (my own)
- 67 syllabi reviewed for equivalency requests
- 106 hours in the ENGL1105 Canvas blueprint–I almost wrote blurprint. Blurprint, indeed.
- 36 hours in the ENGL1106 Canvas blueprint
- With much help, the 2020 Corridors program built
- 2 lake swims; hopeful about adding to that number later this week
- 5088 words into The Big DATO Guide
- An OWI session for the CWPA virtual discussion conference
- Collaborating on the CWPA and CCCC Joint Statement in Response to the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Co-faculty-lead for the VT Community of Practice for Writing Intensive Courses, which has included weekly coordinating Zooms and bi-weekly community of practice Zooms
- Feedback (accepted with revisions) and next steps on the Radiant Figures collection
- 1 runner-up (or second runner-up) status for the CID faculty principalship
- 1 service rotation on Computers and Composition Book Award Committee
- 10 or so additions to the bestiary
That’s the list. I can see in it some things I’d like to change, some things I’d like never to do again, some things that signal follow-through and commitment, and some things that flag for skewing too too far into the faculty-administrative depths of a WPA position that still feels very new to me. Onward is August’s knowing, mumbling hum, and with August, here’s to hoping sky-high hopeshot, there will be space+time for achieving a healthier balance, like amoebas searching for more podia than pseudopodia.